The College of Continuing Studies is proud to offer the competitive Bama By Distance Faculty Research Fellows Program, which provides funding support for up to five Bama By Distance faculty who are interested in pursuing systematic, rigorous investigation into the enhancement of online teaching and learning. Research projects will be followed by dissemination of scholarly work in print and through conference presentations and other public outlets.
- Recognize, support, and promote evidence-based and theory-framed efforts to investigate and enhance the practice of online teaching and learning.
- Increase reflection on teaching and learning by making faculty more aware of their own teaching practices.
- Establish the value, credibility, and significance of scholarly teaching.
- Improve student outcomes and test scores.
- Provide data for assessment, program review, and accreditation.
- Communicate outcomes and make contributions to the broader scholarly community.
- Promote faculty networking and community-building.
- Position Bama By Distance as a leader in the scholarship of teaching and learning.
No more than five Research Fellows will be selected per program year. Each award will include the following:
- Stipend: Up to $15,000 to be used by the recipient’s department to cover course release time or summer course buyout for the fellow.
- Travel funding: Funding may be available for the fellow to present their project results at a conference that focuses on online teaching and learning.
- Other: Equipment purchases will not be funded. Other materials may be considered on a case by case basis.
Dates and Deadlines
To apply for a Bama By Distance Faculty Research Fellowship, complete and submit your proposal before August 24, 2018. Awards will be announced October 5, 2018, for research beginning in January 2019.
For eligibility requirements and application materials, visit teachbydistance.ua.edu/researchfellows.